Book Review: A Teen's Guide to the 5 Love Languages: How to Understand Yourself and Improve All Your Relationships




A Teen's Guide to the 5 Love Languages, written by New York Times bestselling author Gary Chapman, Ph.D., guides emerging adults in discovering and understanding their own love languages, as well as how to best express love in all relationships, whether it be to their parents, siblings, friends, teachers, coaches, or significant others. The author outlines the general characteristics of each of the five love language (words, time, gifts, service, and touch) and explains the various dialects with each language and offers practical examples of how to communicate the love languages in the daily ups-and-downs of relationships.  He also shares how to handle anger and apologies. 

Having been a teenager myself at one point and now raising teenagers, I know how very complicated relationships can be. A Teen's Guide to the 5 Love Languages is a book written just for teens with a teen's world in mind but in my opinion it's a must for parents and caregivers of teens as well. It explains each of the five love languages well and includes illustrations, quotes, and more. I read this book before handing it over to my 16-year-old son and I have to say that I learned a lot, not only about myself but about each person I have a close relationship with. 

I learned that even though I like showing my love using (written) words, such as through writing someone a letter, a poem, or a simple note, this doesn't work with all relationships. For instance, my boyfriend's love language is service and while he likes when I express my love to him using words, he would rather I do something nice for him, such as doing one of his daily chores so he doesn't have to be burdened with it. I understand this completely because I like when people do nice things for me as well, such as doing the dishes or laundry so I don't have to. Basically, I learned that I like showing love in one way (words) and receiving it another (service). 

If after reading A Teen's Guide to the 5 Love Languages you're still not quite sure what your love language is, there is a helpful quiz in the back of the book to help you figure it out. You can purchase a copy for you and/or the teen in your life on Amazon here.  

About the Author
Gary Chapman, Ph.D., is not only an author but a speaker and counselor who has a passion for people and helping them form lasting relationships. He's the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The 5 Love Languages and since it's success he has expanded his 5 Love Languages series with special editions that reach out specifically to singles, men, and parents of teens and young children. He is also the author of numerous other books, including Anger, The Family You’ve Always Wanted, The Marriage You’ve Always Wanted, Desperate Marriages, God Speaks Your Love Language, How to Really Love Your Adult Child, and One More Try, as well as When Sorry Isn't Enough, which he co-authored with Dr. Jennifer Thomas. Chapman is also the director of Marriage and Family Life Consultants, Inc. He travels the world presenting seminars and his radio programs air on more than 400 stations. For more information, visit 5lovelanguages.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment