Book Review: Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult


When I hear the name Jodi Picoult, I'm in, so when I starting hearing nothing but good things about her latest novel, Leaving Time, I just knew it would be the next thing I read. 

Leaving Time is about 13-year-old Jenna Metcalf who has been desperately searching for her mother, Alice, who was a scientist who studied grief among elephants, who mysteriously disappeared a decade earlier in the wake of a tragic accident that left one employee trampled to death by an elephant at the elephant sanctuary she run along with her husband Thomas. Jenna refuses to believe she was abandoned by her mother so she enlists two unlikely allies in her quest, Serenity Jones and Virgil Stanhope. Serenity is a psychic turned swamp witch who has been doubting her gifts after a missing persons case she was involved with went awry. Virgil is the alcoholic, jaded private detective who originally investigated Alice's case and the possibly linked death of her colleague, Nevvie. As the unlikely trio works together to uncover what happened the day Nevvie died and Alice went missing, they realize that in asking hard questions, they have to face even harder answers. 

There were so many different scenarios that could have happened that fateful night. Why had Alice abandoned Jenna? The author kept me guessing right up until the end of this novel before things really started to come together and when they did it was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. I was glad to follow along with Jenna, Serenity, and Virgil as they each learned something about themselves. The ending was one I never suspected. Leaving Time truly shows just how intelligent a writer Jodi Picoult is.

This novel is also very informative about the topic of elephants. The author really did her research and I learned so many things about this amazing creature and I definitely want to learn more after reading Leaving Time.

Is this a must read? OF COURSE!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been reading much lately, but this sounds like I need to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete