Keurig 2.0 Review, Pros and Cons #HelloKeurig

*Disclosure:  I was sent a free Keurig 2.0 (K550 Brewing System) from Influenster as part of their Keurig Campaign in order to perform this review. However, no other compensation was received and all opinions expressed are my own. 

**Addendum 12/22/14:  Since publishing my original mostly positive review on 9/12/14, my Keurig 2.0 has been having some major issues. We first started noticing some grounds in our coffee and other drinks every once in a while. A short time later we started noticing that it took longer and longer to brew, to the point where it was only coming out one small drip at a time, taking about 5 minutes or so to brew one cup. We cleaned the needles as per Keurig's instructions only to have it work properly for one evening and then back to what it was doing. The coffee tastes terrible at this point because it is so strong and it splatters more when brewing. I contacted Keurig via email in which they responded that I needed to call an 800 number. After the holidays I will do so and keep you updated. Meanwhile, please feel free to read my original review below to see what it's like to own a Keurig 2.0 when it's operating properly.

12/23/2014:  I decided I would call Keurig's customer service number today since I had a little free time on my hands and their customer service was excellent. I was only on the phone for about 10 minutes and a replacement brewer has already been ordered for me. 

12/29/2014:  The new brewer arrived on 12/26 (fast shipping, even with the holiday) and has already been set up and seems to be working properly. I'm a happy Keurig brewer again.**
Photo courtesy of Keurig.com
I'm a big fan of Influenster, coffee, and Keurig so I was overjoyed when I qualified to participate in Influenster's Keurig Campaign and review a new Keurig 2.0 (K550 Brewing System), especially when I found out that this new Keurig system would not only brew a single cup but also a 4-cup carafe with the same simplicity. The Keurig 2.0 includes a 4-cup starter carafe, four K-Carafe packs, 6 K-Cup packs, and a 2.0 water filter starter kit with one filter to help get you started. 
Photo courtesy of Keurig.com
The Keurig 2.0 was very simple to set up and get started and very easy to operate. The water reservoir holds 80 oz. of water and the Easy-fill Flip-top reservoir lid makes it easy to fill up. It takes less than a minute for the water to heat up. I can brew from a 4 oz. single cup to a 30 oz. carafe. The Keurig 2.0 has a lot of great features, including an extra large 80 oz. water reservoir, a 2.8" color touch display, brewer maintenance alerts, strength control, illuminated water reservoir, customizable user interface wallpaper, hot water on-demand function, and programmable controls (auto on/off, auto brew K-Carafe, customizable clock, favorite settings, and night light with customizable color). 

I love the sleek, modern design of the Keurig 2.0. My favorite features are the auto on/off and the auto brew K-Carafe. I don't have to worry about questioning myself whether or not I  (or anyone else) remembered to turn the coffee machine off because I have it set to shut off automatically after it has been inactive for 15 minutes. I like that I can set the auto brew K-Carafe to start brewing at a certain time. Before I took my new Keurig 2.0 to the office, I used this feature to start brewing a carafe at the same time I had my alarm set to wake me up in the morning so when I was ready so was the coffee. This feature only works for a carafe however. Now that the Keurig 2.0 is at the office, I can have a carafe of coffee waiting for me when I come through the door if I'd like. If you have the auto brew setting on, a message is displayed on the screen and the Keurig 2.0 can't be used for anything else. However, if the carafe is moved from underneath the Keurig 2.0 it cancels the auto brew setting. This is an easy way to cancel the auto brew setting and it's also a great safety feature in case someone moves the carafe and forgets to replace it. And as far as the carafe goes, it will keep coffee warm for about an hour. I wish it would keep it warmer a little longer though because I like to sip on coffee here and there all morning long and I like my coffee warm to hot. I'm not a fan of cold or iced coffee. 

However, there are some downfalls to the Keurig 2.0 with one of them possibly being a deal breaker for some. The first downfall is that the hot water on demand feature only dispenses 6 ounces of water at a time and you have to hold the button on the brewer down the entire time. This isn't an extremely long process but it would just be nice to be able to choose how many ounces you'd like, press a button, and continue on doing other things while your water is dispensing. Instead, if you are wanting 12 ounces of hot water you'll have to repeat this process twice. The biggest downfall (the possible deal breaker one)  is that Keurig 2.0 Brewing Technology is designed to read the lid of each K-Cup or K-Carafe pack so therefore only works with certain K-Cup and K-Carafe packs, the Keurig brand. For K-Cups, you'll need to look for cups with a white outer ring and the black Keurig Brewed seal on the lid. For K-Carafe packs, you'll need to look for the dark rim and the noticeable green dot on the lid. 


If you put a K-Cup into your Keurig 2.0 brewer that isn't compatible you'll get an Oops message on the screen. This is a problem for me mainly because with my older Keurig brewer I used a reusable K-Cup for the most part so that I could use my own coffee and remain environmentally friendly. It also saved me money as the Keurig brand K-Cups are more expensive than most other brands. Since our current coffee machine at the office is very old and is on its last leg, my original plan was to bring the Keurig 2.0 to the office and continue to use our own coffee. It's still a great addition to the office despite this major downfall however. We'll still be able to enjoy it but we are a bunch of frugal, bargain hunting ladies so hopefully we'll find some great deals on Keurig brand K-Cup and K-Carafe packs or else it probably won't be used much. Hopefully Keurig will realize the importance of being environmentally friendly also and develop a reusable K-Cup compatible with the Keurig 2.0. 

A couple of things that I find slightly annoying but are not deal breakers are the fact that with this Keurig 2.0 the drinks seem to splatter a bit, leaving part of the brewer and the surrounding area a bit of a mess . With my older Keurig brewer, I've never noticed this being that much of a problem. I feel like I have to clean the Keurig and the surrounding area after every couple of uses. And also, as you may know, Keurig makes several iced drinks, including a very yummy lemonade. However, Keurig brewers only dispense very hot water so when you want to enjoy an iced drink you have to let it cool before adding your ice or else it will melt in mere seconds. It would be nice if Keurig brewers gave you an option to dispense room temperature water. 

4 comments:

  1. Keurigs are just the best coffee machine ever. Our though is about to go to Keurig Heaven. My Hubs has used it and loves it. It will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man that sticks that you can't use the reusable k-cup. I have a keurig mini and I use the reusable cup often

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted one but if I can't use my reusable then I will stick to mine. :) thanks for your honest review!! Saved me a lot of money

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I still need to get a Keurig!

    ReplyDelete