Review of Grandma Chonga's Salsa

**Disclosure:  I was sent free samples of Grandma Chonga's Salsa in order to perform this review. However, no other compensation was received and all opinions expressed are my own.**


In my opinion, there is no better snack (or appetizer) than tortilla chips and salsa. I'm not a salsa snob either. I love trying all different types and brands of salsas. I especially love unique salsas that aren't readily available in your local grocery store. While on vacation this summer, I tried a sample of apple salsa and I loved it so much that I brought a jar home with me. More recently, I found Grandma Chonga's Salsa when doing a search on Google for other unique salsas and I found that they offered two unique types of salsa, tropical salsa and Salsa-Que. After contacting them, I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to review these two salsas in addition to Grandma Chonga's Original Salsa. I'm excited to tell you what I thought about them but before I get into that I want to tell you the heartwarming story behind Grandma Chonga's Salsa. 

"Lucia Velasquez (Grandma Chonga) began making authentic Salsa over 70 years ago from the traditions passed on by her family’s Hispanic heritage. This cherished heritage continued with her daughter Madeline’s passion for cooking, bringing family together and connecting with the nostalgia of family recipes. These same traditions and flavors that have spanned generations continue through her granddaughter’s devotion. Today, each jalapeno, habanero & garlic clove is still hand-picked and fire roasted with the produce grown locally in season from small family farms. Open a jar of Grandma Chonga’s Salsa and bring your family together to share a tradition at your kitchen table."





Grandma Chonga’s Tropical Salsa is my favorite of the three salsas. It combines a unique blend of exotic fruits, including pineapple, mandarin oranges, and mangos, along with roasted jalapeños and garlic. This is a chunkier salsa. All the ingredients blend together very nicely making a nice sweet salsa with a slight kick at the end. It has an amazingly unique flavor. Grandma Chonga’s Original Salsa blends traditional ingredients such as whole tomatoes, jalapeños, roasted garlic, and a touch of fresh cilantro to create an authentic Hispanic salsa. This salsa is very mild and savory. I love the smoother, thinner consistency of it. This is a restaurant quality salsa and reminds me very much of the authentic salsa served at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Grandma Chonga’s Salsa-Que is by far the most unique salsa I've ever tried. It combines Original “Hot” Salsa with bold and traditional barbeque flavors. It's a very, very thin salsa. Salsa-Que is sweet, smokey, and very spicy. It definitely reminds me of barbeque sauce with a big kick! I really liked all three flavors of Grandma Chonga's Salsa that I tried. Actually, I liked the original salsa and the Salsa-Que and I LOVED the tropical salsa. 

I also shared Grandma Chonga's Salsa with my co-workers and I got a great response from them as well. Everyone seemed to pretty much share my opinion. They loved the bite at the end of the tropical salsa and Salsa-Que and like me, the tropical salsa also seemed to be their favorite of the three. One co-worker even told me that the tropical salsa and Salsa-Que were actually good when mixed together.  

While I mostly prefer my salsa with tortilla chips, Grandma Chonga's Salsa can be used to spice up your meals as well. You can check out a list of recipes using Grandma Chonga's Salsa here. The original salsa is great for not only enhancing your favorite chips but creamy dips as well. We used to make a dip at home where we layered cream cheese, refried beans, salsa, and shredded cheese and Grandma Chonga's Original Salsa would be the perfect salsa for this recipe. The tropical salsa is paired beautifully with grilled seafood, poultry, and pork. Salsa-Que compliments any of your favorite barbequed or grilled dishes. I think some pork chops grilled with Salsa-Que and topped with Grandma Chonga's Tropical Salsa sound fantastic. 

How would you use Grandma Chonga's Salsa



Purchase Grandma Chonga's Salsa
Grandma Chonga's is still growing and isn't available in stores everywhere (you can check here to see if it's available at a location near you) but it is sold online at http://chongasalsa.com/shop-online/. It's very reasonably priced as well. 

Connect with Grandma Chonga's Salsa 

8 comments:

  1. I would like to try the tropical salsa. I bet that is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tropical salsa sounds really good to me too. I love a good salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like chips and salsa too but I don't get too and adventurous with it. My hubby on the other hand would love the Salsa que you were talking about with the bbq mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this brand, but it looks really good. We love salsa in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of this brand before but I love trying out new salsas. Recently I had a salsa made with mango and it was so good! I would love to try out the tropical salsa! #ProductReviewParty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this brand, but it looks good. I'm not very adventurous and usually stick to just original salsa flavors. The tropical sounds interesting, though. #ProductReviewParty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am salsa snob and like my homemade one because I love how much cilantro, garlic and jalapeno peppers I put in it. I do like certain salsa with fruit especially when served with shrimp or fish. YUM! #productreviewparty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a HUGE chips and salsa lover. These look amazing! The more unique the better!

    ReplyDelete