First love, vacation, a new read, and turning 30!

I took some time off work/blogging recently (10 days, including the weekends) and in that time several things happened. My teenage son found his first love, we took a family vacation to Pigeon Forge, TN, I started reading a new book, and I turned 30.

My son is 14-1/2 years old and recently he and the girl next door (well next door to my parent's house anyway) fell head over heels for each other immediately after my mom introduced them recently. This is a very bittersweet time for me but for my son this will be the girl he'll never forget and the girl he'll compare all other future girlfriends to, whether he means to or not. This has made me think about my first love many, many years ago, which was a heart wrenching experience that didn't end well but a learning experience nonetheless so I've got a lot of advice to give, if only he'll listen. We've all been there and I'm excited, nervous, and scared for my son all at the same time. Wish me luck getting through this!

Anyway, we didn't get to take a family vacation last year so we were determined to go somewhere as a family this year and we finally did it. My boyfriend, son, and my parents drove to Pigeon Forge, TN and while we could only stay for two nights, it was definitely nice to get away from home for a bit. We stayed at Riverside Towers, which was a wonderful place to stay. We couldn't afford to do as much as we would have liked to have done but we did eat well. On the first night we ate at Wood Grill Buffet, which included not only American entrees and side dishes but Asian, Italian, and Mexican cuisine as well. We've eaten there before during previous visits to Pigeon Forge, and it was fantastic and very filling as always. On the second night I wanted us to try a different place where we hadn't eaten before and we finally decided on Mama's Farmhouse, which offered all you can eat, family style, with everything being homemade. They started us off with soup or salad and biscuits with peach butter. This was followed by meatloaf, fried chicken, and turkey pot pie along with sides that included mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, and chicken and dumplings. We even got dessert. Everyone left very satisfied and I think we have a new place to visit for dinner the next time we are there. I also made sure that we visited my favorite store in Pigeon Forge, the Three Bears General Store, where I bought my dad some Moonshine Jelly for Father's Day and me some Di Di's Apple Salsa made by Vidalia Valley. I had never tried apple salsa before but there was a sample of it sit out and I tried it and found that it was absolutely amazing. My jar is almost gone and now I'm wishing I'd bought two. We also played putt-putt and took a very relaxing drive out to Cades Cove where we saw seven black bears!

Also, my son rarely ever reads books, unless he has to for an assignment at school, so I was floored when he actually wanted to visit a bookstore while in Pigeon Forge and he actually bought a book with his own spending money. He bought The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, which as you know is a New York Times #1 Best Seller and now a movie starring Shailene Woodley. He read it in a day and a half and now I'm reading it and am almost finished. It's a great read but I have a feeling I'll be crying at the end of it. I like to read the books before I watch the movies because they are usually better anyway. Hopefully this is a start to him reading more books just for the fun of it. Do you have any recommendations on what he can read next?

And yesterday I turned 30. It wasn't as depressing as I thought it would be but turning 30 definitely has me wanting to change things in my life up a bit. Maybe go to college and train for a better career, maybe get a hobby, maybe start volunteering, maybe write a book, maybe make it a point to have more fun, maybe make a bucket list and actually start checking things off, maybe get inspired, I just don't know. What are your thoughts on this? Anyway, I ordered a few charms and a couple of dangles from Origami Owl for my birthday to complete my living locket (courtesy of my boyfriend's money). I just love Origami Owl.

Anyway, what's new with you all?

6 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for the son/girlfriend experience. My oldest boys are only (soon to be) 12 and 10 but they're already talking about girls they like and teasing each other about having girlfriends. With all going on in the world today I just hope they find someone who loves them for them and not because of any other reason. I was actually quite impressed with my son, when we went to his middle school orientation he pointed about a girl to me who was very pretty and wearing girl camo shorts. He told me that was the girl he liked. I asked him why he liked her and he said "because she likes to hunt and fish like me, she likes camo, and she's funny and ...she's pretty" I was so glad to hear him say he liked her because of similar interests first a not a simple "she's pretty". The turning 30 part. I had that moment but I was glad to have other things going on in my life at the time that kind of overshadowed the turning 30 part. I had my son with my husband, the first one with my current husband just a couple months before I turned 30 so I was busy with a new baby and didn't really think too much about being 30 for a while. When it did finally hit me though I also happened to notice 3 gray hairs and I think that was more devastating to me than the number lol. My coworkers all laughed at me because I was worried about 3 gray hairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son says he and this girl have a lot in common also. I know he's young but there are kids in his grade who were "dating" this time last year, walking around holding hands at the football games!

      Delete
  2. Interesting blog you have. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday to you!! Young Love! I sure would never want to go back and do that all over again.

    ReplyDelete