Positive Post-Its


At my son's middle school, the students were recently encouraged to place positive post-it notes on the lockers of their peers as a personal challenge from the Equality Alliance. Lockers were decorated with positive messages and they became a colorful addition to the hallway. I asked my 13-year-old son if he got a positive post-it note on his locker and he said, "Yes. Everybody did. It defeated the purpose." I told him that he couldn't be further from the truth. Some kids never hear kind, encouraging words from their peers at school....or from their family at home. You never know if the kind words found on one child's post-it note made a positive impact on their life in some way. I make sure my son knows how special he is and how much he means to me but some parents don't do this. Sometimes as parents we just get too busy with everything else that we forget that we need to take a few moments a day to let our loved ones know how special they are to us, especially our kids who are quite impressionable. You may think that your kids know you love them but actually telling them is just the icing on the cake. I was also thinking this would be a great exercise for the workplace, leaving positive post-it notes on your co-workers lockers or on their desks. My manager is always asking us if we have any ideas on how to improve communication and relationships within our department so I think I'll bring this up to her at our next department meeting. 

  

2 comments:

  1. Well that sounds like a cool thing to do, but you are right.. who knows if it made any impact on some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really great idea. I think more schools should try this. I'm glad everyone got some type of positive note

    ReplyDelete