Snacking Dilemma

The building I work in has two vending machines down the hall, one for snacks and one for drinks. And as if the vending machine prices weren't high enough already, a couple of weeks ago the prices raised once again. Before the recent increase, all drinks were $1.50 a bottle but now only the water is $1.50 and the diet drinks are $1.75 and the regular drinks are $2.00. The snack prices are ridiculous as well in my opinion with some candy bars and chips as high as $1.25 each. 


Because of this, one of my coworkers decided to buy some snacks in bulk and bring them in and sit them on a table in our office and offer them to us for pretty much what she had in them, which is about half the price we would be paying if we purchased these snacks from the vending machine. She put a list with prices on the table and a cup for collecting the money. We are using the honor system to pay for things and make our own change. So far it is working out great. I have brought in some snacks as well and I'm thinking a few others have too. We are planning on using the money to continue to purchase snacks for the office. We are not looking to make a profit. Since most of us like a snack during the day, we just want to continue to be able to snack without causing a financial strain. Right now the table is a little bare since it is Sunday but it will be restocked tomorrow with some fresh new goodies, including Slim Jims which I'm excited about. Some other things on the table so far have included candy bars, cookies, chips, pork rinds, and crackers. Since we have total control over what snacks are brought in, I'd like to start seeing some healthier options and other snacks that were never previously in the vending machine. 

I was just curious if any of you had ever done this type of thing at your office. Is there a better, more organized, effective way we could do this? Would displays or a cash box work better? If you know of any wonderful brands out that that I should check out or if you are a brand and would like your snack reviewed on my blog just let me know. I appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc. so fire away. 

And by the way, since boycotting the vending machine down the hall, it stays full pretty much all the time now because nobody is buying anything. I doubt this will force the vending company to lower the prices but it will surely send them a message that we're not going to pay the higher prices. 

9 comments:

  1. Good for you and your co workers for sending a message to the vending machine company that you will not put up with them and their high prices.

    I am with you on healthier options though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago I worked in a room with three other women, it was one giant office and I was happy to share and not have to have a cubicle. After we'd been working together awhile, we started bringing things and trading them. No money exchanged hands, but we'd each bring something every Monday and trade so we'd all have snacks for the week. Sometimes it was homemade, I often brought homemade brownies and one of the women made homemade caramel corn that I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade treats is a good idea too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. They did that at the hospital I work at 1.75 for a bottle of soda, $1.25 for candy bars, etc. I think it's ridiculous. Good for you for finding at cheaper alternative in your office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't worked in quite some time but when I last did I believe we did something similar. Somebody was always bringing in a snack for everyone, we pretty much rotated instead of taking donations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome that your office is taking control of the outrageous snack prices. The guys do this at my husbands work. They got a coffee maker, snacks, fruits, crackers and cheese trays. They all put in a few dollars in the beginning and set prices. They now take the proceeds and rotate who will make the purchases for the week to refill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that was a great idea because now you guys can control what snacks that are being offered and its cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a huge fan of homemade snacks. Everyone can and should participate and make something weekly. This way you can choose how healthy it is and also only have things you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never done this, but I think it is a great idea. Snacks are way to expensive in a vending machine!

    ReplyDelete