Is This A Deal Breaker?

So I took my family to LaRosa's Pizzeria to eat Tuesday night because they have an all you can eat spaghetti dinner for only $4.99 each on Mondays and Tuesdays, which I think is a wonderful deal, especially since it also comes with a side salad and bread sticks. We only eat at LaRosa's occasionally (most of the time it's for the all you can eat spaghetti) but the food has always been pretty good and their prices are decent. When we visited Tuesday, they were not busy at all and we were seated immediately but it took them at least 15 minutes to take our drink order, bring our drinks back, and then take our food order. We each asked for extra ranch dressing for our salads (there were four of us) and when the salads came out two of the salads had two cups of ranch each and the other two salads only had one cup each so we again asked for extra. The waitress then brought us out four more cups of ranch so we had a total of 10 cups of ranch dressing for our four salads. Now these aren't huge cups so we each had an average of 2-1/2 cups of ranch dressing for each salad. I don't think that's so bad.

Anyway, when our spaghetti came out we asked for two cups of extra spaghetti sauce because they looked a little dry. We were told that since she didn't charge us for the extra ranch dressing that she'd have to charge us for the extra spaghetti sauce (for all you can eat spaghetti)! Now I've never gone to a casual dine-in restaurant in my entire life where I was charged for extra salad dressing, maybe at a fast food restaurant (they usually throw an extra in for free anyway) but not a casual dine-in restaurant. And in fact we've ordered extra salad dressing every time we've ever gone to LaRosa's previously and have never been charged. So we didn't order the extra spaghetti sauce and sure enough halfway through we were eating dry spaghetti because they just don't put enough sauce on to start with.

Anyway, I got to thinking about it and since I follow LaRosa's on Twitter and they are active, I asked if this was the policy and when they replied back they said it was in fact their policy to charge for extra salad dressing but not for the extra spaghetti sauce. What?!? And when I replied back to them that they are the only restaurant I've even been to that charges for this, they never responded back. I don't know but I'm thinking this is a deal breaker for me and I don't think I'll be dining there again. I don't know how much they charge for their extra salad dressing but I don't want to dine in a place where they can't just give me one or two extra per salad. We are regulars at a local Giovanni's Pizza and they don't care if we use two whole bottles of salad dressing when we dine in (and we frequently do use this much).

What are your thoughts? Am I overreacting? Would you continue to dine at LaRosa's?

Also, here is a link to the conversation we had on Twitter about this matter. https://twitter.com/LaRosas3471111/status/294094899865858049

3 comments:

  1. I think asking for an extra cup of salad dressing, especially since their small cups, should be something to charge for. I could see if you asked to have a whole bottle at your table or something maybe. The fact that it sounds like the service wasn't all that either I'd probably reconsider eating there again. There are other places you can go that will not upcharge you for the little things

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work at a restaurant and we were supposed to charge $.40 for each extra thing of dressing but only if it was Ranch or Blue Cheese. I refused to charge people. Their reason was that they inventories everything but I didn't see any reason why I couldn't have a zeroed out button to add on the dressing. It's total bull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No you aren't over reacting. These places think they can just reduce the price and feed us crap food. Because they reduced the price they thought.... HMmmmmmm lets not put as much sauce on the spaghetti!!

    That is one place I would never, never go to. I would have complained to the manager.

    ReplyDelete