Book Review: Bohemia by Veronika Carnaby

I just recently finished Veronika Carnaby's debut novel called Bohemia, which was released in September 2012. Veronika is an American writer and poet and winner of the 2001 Young Authors Award for Excellence in Short Story Writing. Some of her greatest influences include the likes of Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, The Beatles, and Bob Dylan. Veronika possesses a unique vintage charm that transcends into her writing. Bohemia is written in the spontaneous prose technique, which I found to be quite intriguing and very inspiring.

Bohemia takes place during the 1960s, the decade that some say changed the world (and to be honest has always been one of my favorite decades). Bohemia follows a group of bohemian twenty-somethings who defy the so called normal ideals of society in order to find their creative fulfillment. In the process of doing so, they face many challenges and even heartbreak but that doesn't stop them from having some great times and creating lasting memories as well. There were a lot of very interesting and unique characters in Bohemia, each following their own creative, artistic path. My favorite character was Valerie. Even though they were all pretty much considered to be black sheep by most people, she seemed to be the biggest black sheep of the group and I could really relate to her and understand her and I loved the creative path she followed, even if it wasn't as exciting as some of the paths the others were taking. I found Bohemia to be a very liberating and free novel. Veronika really takes you back to that time and gives you a good sense of how people lived, talked, felt, were treated, and even what they believed in. I am certain that if I was in my 20s during the 1960s, this is a group that I would want to be a part of.

You can find Veronika on Facebook and Twitter or you can visit her blog to find out more about her and her writing. If you'd like to purchase Bohemia, you can find it on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment