Why I'm A Bad Mom

Responding to an article on MomDot, I'd like to tell you all the reasons why I'm a bad mom to my 12-year-old son and 15-year-old step-daughter.

  • The number one reason why I'm a bad mom is because I became pregnant with my son when I was 14 and gave birth at 15 (just think, I could have been on Teen Mom).
  • I let my son drink pop, sometimes more than one can a day. 
  • We let our kids eat in the living room. 
  • Since my son's biological father and his family are MIA, he stays with my parents every other weekend, always has and probably always will.
  • We let our kids watch rated R movies. 
  • We let our kids listen to whatever kind of music they like. 
  • I let my son play Xbox almost every night.
  • Unless it's a day my son has football practice right after school, he has to start on his homework as soon as he gets home. 
  • I tell my kids they can grow up and be anything they want to be. 
  • I tell my son if he ever tries smoking or shooting up drugs, popping/snorting pills, etc., I will beat his eyes shut and then hunt down whoever he bought it from and do the same thing to them.
  • My son wasn't interested, so I never made him learn to ride a bicycle. 
  • With only a few exceptions, I have attended every one of my children's ball games, plays, and/or musicals that they have been in. 
  • I sometimes make my son pay for things with his own money, (which more than likely was given to him by me in the first place). 
  • I don't let my son miss school for doctor appointments, etc. I'll either schedule them after school or will take him and bring him back to school. 
  • We nag and lecture our kids about school, life, friends, drugs, sex, you name it. 
  • We always have cake and ice cream for their birthdays and invite the grandparents over. 
  • I'd rather my kids have sleepovers at their friend's houses than at my house. 
  • I teach my kids to believe in God and Jesus however they want to believe in them. 
  • I teach my kids it's okay to love.....whoever they want to love. 
  • I never cook at home on Fridays or Saturdays. 
  • I hug and/or kiss my son every day he is with me. 
  • I make my son go grocery shopping with me. 
  • My son has drank coffee since he was a toddler. 
But for all the reasons I'm a bad mom, I must be doing something right because my son has wanted to go to college since he was 6 and now he knows that he wants to go into sports journalism. He already knows where and what time of year he's going to propose to his wife and he already knows that he wants to have a bunch of kids. 

What about you, are you a bad mom (or dad) too? Blog about all the things that make you a bad parent and link them up at Life With Levi. This is a great way to check out all the parenting styles out there but remember, no way is better or worse than the other. 

1 comment:

  1. I think this link up was a great idea. So often I read about moms that sound like super moms but I try to tell myself that they only post what they want to post and we don't really know what goes on off the internet. I know I'm not perfect, I've made mistakes as a mom. I try not to judge when it comes to other moms unless it's blatant disregard for a child.

    ReplyDelete