Another Year, Another BIG School Supply List

My son is going into the 7th grade in August and I finally found his school supply list at Walmart and it is as always pretty extensive (in my humble opinion). This is what he needs for this year:

  • 1 1.5 to 2 inch 3-ring binder
  • 1 1 inch 3-ring binder
  • 5 Dividers for binder
  • 1 Small plastic file box for index cards
  • 1 Dictionary and Thesaurus 
  • 3 Plastic twin pocket folders with metal fasteners inside 
  • 1 1 subject spiral notebook 
  • 1 4 or 5 subject spiral notebook (preferably one with a plastic front)
  • 1 Package of colored pencils
  • 1 Mini stapler (with staples)
  • 1 Pair of earbuds/small headphones for computer use
  • 2 Boxes of Kleenex 
  • 1 Package of dry erase markers 
  • 4 Packages of 3 x 5 index cards
  • Blue and red ink pens 
  • Pencils/erasers - NO mechanical pencils
  • Loose leaf notebook paper
  • Optional calculator, which includes a TI 30XIIS, TI30XA, or Scenario (SC-121)
I had plenty of pencils and pens still lying around from prior years and I bought him a calculator last year but everything else I bought yesterday evening during our shopping trip or will need to buy before school starts. I spent approximately $25 and I still have to buy a dictionary and thesaurus and two boxes of Kleenex. I try to reuse as much as possible from the year before but some years the supplies are different. I probably could have reused the same dry erase markers from last year but I found a package of two for just $1.24 so I bought some new ones in case his from last year were dried out. What do they need dry erase markers for anyway. Most importantly though, why do they need a mini stapler. Do the teachers not use staplers anymore? I also had to buy my son a new backpack this year because the zipper broke on his from last year. This is one thing we use year after year when able so hopefully this new backpack will last through high school (wishful thinking). I got a great deal on a brand new pair of Nike's at a local shoe store for only $10 but he still needs a few new outfits to start out the year. There will also probably be a school fee too, which is usually anywhere from $15 to $30 (I later found out this was $24...$15 reading fee and $9 science fee).

So, what do your kids school supply lists look like this year?

2 comments:

  1. As a teacher, I have to say this list looks pretty nice. It has the essentials, but nothing that won't be used. As far as the stapler, I can't tell you how much class time was wasted because students were not prepared to turn in homework. They needed time to staple the pages together, and with only 53 minutes to work with, every moment is precious. If each student had a stapler in their backpacks I could have been teaching. It really does make sense. I like the ear bud idea, too! I might request that for my students. No more sharing headphones and spreading germs and lice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really lucky this year, my son's supply list is the smallest one ever:

    Fifth Grade (5)
    7 marble composition books
    5 pocket folders with fasteners (5 different colors)
    3 packages wide ruled notebook paper
    48 #2 Pencils (NOT mechanical)
    3 glue sticks
    1 pair student scissors
    1 package Post-it notes
    1 package colored pencils
    1 box of quart-size Ziploc bags (boys)
    1 box of gallon-size Ziploc bags (girls)
    1 container of disinfectant wipes
    2 boxes of tissues
    1 box of Band-aids

    ReplyDelete