Cowboy Casserole is one of those recipes where you can modify it and have it a little differently every time. You can use different kinds of vegetables and soups or you can season it a lot, a little, or none at all. It's so simple and easy to make and by being able to change it up, you can still make it often without burning everybody out. Did I mention it's also very yummy!
Cowboy Casserole My Way Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- garlic powder, salt, and pepper (optional)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cans of vegetables (such as green beans, peas, corn, carrots)
- 1 lb of frozen tater tots
- 2 cans of "cream of" soups (1 large, 1 small, different or the same, such as cream of celery, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom)
- One 16 ounce container of sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the ground beef and onions in a large saute pan and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to your liking. Once cooked thoroughly, drain grease and set aside.
- While the ground beef is cooking, combine the vegetables, soups, and sour cream. Stir until well combined and place into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Top the mixture with tater tops, spreading out evenly, and then top the tater tots with shredded cheese. Bake until the mixture is bubbling and the tots are crisp and cooked thoroughly, approximately 30 minutes.