Book Review: Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

I just finished reading Second Glance by Jodi Picoult and this is a book that makes you ask yourself  "Do we love across time? Or in spite of it?" Second Glance takes place in the tiny Vermont town of Comtosook. Very strange, paranormal and supernatural things start happening around town when a developer attempts to turn an ancient Abenaki Indian burial ground into a strip mall. When suicide attempts fail to work, Ross Wakeman became a ghost hunter for the sole purpose of trying to connect with his fiance Aimee on the other side, who died in a car accident years earlier. Ross takes on a job searching the burial ground and while ghost hunting on the site meets Lia, who is looking for something as well. Lia, beautiful yet mysterious, seems to bring Ross back to life for the first time in years. Second Glance asks if truth is always something that can be measured… and if what can be measured is indeed always true.

Second Glance explores the very disturbing yet interesting real-life VT eugenics project of the 1930s and makes you want to learn more about it. You could tell that Jodi really did her research on not only this topic but every topic discussed in the book. I love how she brings each one of the characters to life. I love that in the end you find out that most of the characters are connected to each other in some way and it's great when you realize exactly how they are connected. This book had me hooked from the beginning and I was sad when I finished it but I couldn't have hoped for a better ending.

I asked my Twitter followers one day if they had any good book recommendations and someone recommended anything by Jodi Picoult so this was my first book by her but I can tell you it will not be my last. I think this is a must read book. Let me know if you've ever read this book and what you thought of it...or if you plan on reading it.

To read an excerpt from Second Glance, as well as to read a conversation with Jodi about Second Glance, check out her site. You can find and buy Jodi's other books as well or sign up to receive her monthly newsletter. You can also connect with her on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. I love it when I can find a new author that I can really get into their books. I have never read any of Jodi's books. Great Review!!

    https://twitter.com/#!/CandidaJourney/status/158897653109895170

    ReplyDelete