Irish Soda Bread Recipe

My son has been studying the cultures of other countries in his 6th grade social studies class. At the end of this week they were going to have an "around the world feast" and each group was going to bring in a food from the country they were studying. My son and his group have been studying Ireland so I looked on the internet and found two possible recipes for him to take in for the class to sample. I first found a recipe for Potato Candy and next a recipe for Irish Soda Bread. He opted to take in the bread and was really excited about bringing it in and sharing it with the class. Needless to say, some students were acting up in class earlier this week and his "feast" got canceled. I knew how much he wanted to take the bread in so I made it last night for him anyway. I found an Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread recipe on Allrecipes and made it last night. It was really easy to make and it tasted great. Everyone in the house liked it. I think we'll each have a big piece with our dinner today. I have to say, his teacher don't know what she is missing. : ) I've included the recipe below if you'd like to try it as well. Let me know if you do and what you thought about it or if you've ever eaten this before.

My completed Irish Soda Bread, minus two pieces.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup margarine, softened (I used butter)
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 30 to 50 minutes. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I've been thinking about Irish Soda Bread for the last couple of days and then there it was on Melt in Your Mouth Mondays. This is a terrific recipe but I have to halve it since there is only one breadoholic in this household.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention my recipe doesn't have any eggs, oil or butter and I use plain yogurt in place of buttermilk. I'm going to try it with the butter and egg,

    ReplyDelete