Our Virginia Beach Vacation


Photo Taken From http://www.virginiabeachlaw.net/
My  family and I recently returned back from our 2011 vacation to Virginia Beach. After an 8-1/2 hour drive, we arrived to Virginia Beach and I caught a glimpse of the ocean for the very first time. If you've never been to Virginia Beach, I highly recommend you do so. My family and I had so much fun and hopefully we get to return again soon.

You can celebrate summer all along the Virginia Beach oceanfront, Beach Street USA, between 17th and 25th Streets and nearby side streets with entertainment, festivals, fireworks and more. Beginning in mid June and continuing through Labor Day everyday from 7:30 p.m. until 11 p.m., you can check out family friendly performances, including puppets, jugglers, magicians, musicians, artists, and more. This summer we were lucky enough to catch a performance by Tim Hopkins from Norfolk, Virginia, who is a 12 String Acoustical Guitarist, who had the most amazing voice. He sang some Oldies/Classic Rock/Country/Easy Listening by some of our favorite artists/bands. All I needed was a bar stool and a cold drink and I could have stayed for hours listening to him sing. All of this entertainment was provided free of charge to the visitors by the city of Virginia Beach so we could relax at the beach, shop, and go sight seeing during the day and cut loose and check out some great performances at night.

Photo Taken From virginiabeachhistory.org/lighthouses.html

I love lighthouses but I'd never been to one so I was super excited to find out that Virginia Beach was the home of Cape Henry Lighthouse, which was the first lighthouse authorized by the U.S. government, dating from 1792. It was very beautiful but I nearly killed myself walking up the spiral staircase to the top. I found out just how out of shape I really was. I was sore 3 days later but it was worth it as I may never have the opportunity to see something at magnificent as this again.

And of course relaxing on the beach and playing in the sand and ocean were nice too, except for the sunburn I got on my back and shoulders, which I forgot to apply sunscreen too. I was so worried about applying it to my arms and legs that I neglected my shoulders and back. I especially enjoyed watching my son play in the sand and water and I got lots of pictures. Of course we loved the food, especially the pizza at Dough Boy's California Pizza, which you have to try if you ever visit Virginia Beach.

We stayed at the 19 Atlantic Hotel where the rooms were very modern and nice and the staff was very friendly. In fact, pretty much everybody was friendly in Virginia Beach in all the shops, restaurants, etc. I hope to return there again someday with my family and do many more things, visit more and more places, and try out many more restaurants.

Have you ever been to Virginia Beach and what did you think about it? Got any tips for more fun things to do or events to attend?

No comments:

Post a Comment