My Top 3 Best Memories With My Dad

Father's Day is right around the corner and I had a great idea for a post. I'm going to list my top 3 best memories with my dad and I'd love for you to do the same. Either leave a comment with your top 3 or do your own blog post and comment with the link. I'm excited to share my memories with you and I look forward to reading your comments and posts as well. I'm fortunate enough to still have my dad in my life and I see and talk to him all the time. We've never been the hugging, lovable type of family or ones to talk about our feelings but I love him and know he loves me too. I can't decide which memory is my favorite so they are in no particular order. I wonder if he remembers these days too?
  1. When I was small, I'd say around 8-9, my dad used to play poker (and drink a few beers, or 10) with a couple of his buddies in a garage a few houses down from ours. He let me tag along one night and play poker with one of his buddies and my uncle. They only played with change so they were more than happy to teach me to play. They smoked cigarettes and drank beer and I think they even let me win a few hands, either that or they were actually too drunk and I legitimately beat them. Whatever the case, I had a blast and I think I even made it out with a few bucks in change. I still to this day keep a nickel from that night and every time I look at it I always remember how much fun I had with my dad that night.
  2. We live in a Tri-State area so one day when I was little while my mom was at work I had to spend the day with my dad but he and my uncle had some stuff to take care of. I'm not quite sure what they were looking for but I remember going to what seemed like a million junk yards to find some kind of a car part. I remember starting the day out in Ohio, then going to Kentucky, and ending up in West Virginia, all in just a couple hour's time. I just couldn't believe we'd traveled to three states all in one day and I couldn't wait to tell my mom all about our adventure. I felt like we'd been a thousand miles away from home but we were actually only just a short drive away. I'd probably be bored out of my mind doing this now but this always stands out as a fun time with my dad. I don't even remember if he found what he was looking for but we had fun searching for it.
  3. When I was around 7 my mom had to have a hysterectomy and was in the hospital for a few days. My dad took me and my older brother out on his boat in the Scioto River and we had a blast. He even thought to bring a camera so we have pictures, which by the way survived a house fire in 2009. My mom was more than freaked out to see pictures of her two young kids swimming in the river, even with our life jackets on but we had fun. I love looking back at all the pictures from that day and remembering how much fun we all had.

1 comment:

  1. How nice that you were close with your Dad..... I miss my Dad... and Mom so, so much.

    To tell the truth, I never got close with my Dad until my Mom died. Then, he really needed us. My sisters and I tried to keep him amused... a hard thing to do with my Dad.

    Memory
    1. My Dad worked his butt off to keep a roof over our heads. Something I never appreciated until I was older.

    2. My Dad had a very hard time showing his love. He did love us in his own way, but had such a hard time showing it. There were 5 of us and we were holy terrors

    3. After my Mom died, I would go visit my Dad as much as possible. I lived a couple of hours away so it was not easy. I tried to go once a week. One day, I walked in and he was sitting in his chair weeping. He missed my Mom so much. I will never forget that day. It was the first time I ever saw weakness in my Dad.

    I love you Dad!! you too Mom!!

    ReplyDelete