Book Review: Anthropology of an American Girl

I recently finished a novel called Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann. Go here to learn more about the author.

Anthropology of an American Girl is about the sexual and intellectual awakening of a young American woman on the brink of adulthood named Eveline Auerbach struggling to remain true to herself as she encounters love, friendship, passion, and death amid the challenges and heartbreaks of growing up. The novel follows Evie from her high school years in East Hampton, New York, in the 1970s through her early adulthood in Manhattan in the 1980s. This novel is both a love story and an exploration of the difficulty of one finding their place in the world. It follows Evie's relationships and heartbreaks while she still remains a strong yet sensitive observer of the world around her, often finding beauty and meaning in unexpected places and in unexpected people.

I really loved Evie. She was a very strong girl and not afraid to take chances. She knew what she wanted and held onto that feeling however long it took her to get what she wanted. If she found herself in a situation that was not ideal, she had the strength to get out and start over. She was a very good friend but also had good friends who often looked out for her. I really liked her friends Rob and Denny best. I hated the times when Evie was heartbroken, but I also liked following along in the journey that she took to find happiness. There were sad times too when she had to deal with loss of a loved one, but I think this only made her stronger and see the world a little differently. I could only wish to be half the young woman Evie was and to be strong enough to make the decisions she had to make. I would recommend this book to anyone, especially girls of all ages. This book will enlighten you and take you on a journey you never expected to go. You'll meet some great people who I'd definitely call friends. You'll also meet some people you wouldn't want to bump into anywhere. But in the end, you'll love where life takes Evie and you'll be glad you went along.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good book. I wish I had more time for reading. I'd look into this one

    ReplyDelete