Happy Earth Day 2010
Today is Earth Day 2010 and I've decided to list some of my favorite (and easy) tips to help you go green.
1. Lower your thermostat and/or buy a programmable thermostat.
2. Reuse your water bottles. Avoid buying bottled water. In fact, reuse everything at least once, especially plastics.
3. Check out your bathroom. Use low-flow faucets, showerheads, and toilets.
4. Buy foods locally. Buy locally made products and locally produced services.
5. Buy compact fluorescent light bulbs.
6. Turn off lights and electronics when you leave the room. Unplug electric can openers, toasters, etc. when not using them.
7. Recycle your newspapers.
8. Car pool if possible.
9. Ride a bike, walk, jog, or run.
10. Go to your local library instead of buying new books.
11. For gift giving, reuse gift bags that you have been given.
12. Use www.catalogchoice.org and remove yourself from receiving those catalogs every week that you no longer read.
13. Buy products that use recyclable materials whenever possible.
14. If you use plastic grocery bags, recycle them for small trashcan liners, etc.
15. Use reusable shopping bags when you shop or when given a choice between plastic and paper, opt for paper.
16. Consider organic cleaning products like vinegar, borax, and baking soda.
17. If you have a baby, consider using cloth diapers.
18. Go paperless. Consider reading your newspaper and magazine subscriptions online. Switch to electronic banking and credit card payment too.
19. Teach kids about the importance of saving the environment.
20. Use your local recycling centers.
21. Do full loads of laundry and set the rinse cycle to cold or better yet, buy an energy saver washer.
22. Recycle even if you're not at home and take the extra time to find a recycling can.
23. Reuse. Plastic food containers make good crayon and marker holders. If you're just using your plastic baggies for things like candy, these are easy to reuse.
24. Limit the length of your showers or even better, shut off the water while soaping up and shampooing. Stress limiting shower times to your teenagers!
24. Shut off the water when brushing your teeth.
25. Wash towels after several uses.
26. Go paperless at work. Distribute company information and post company material online and through email.