Friday, August 2, 2013

Simply7 Snacks Review (Hummus, Pomegranate and Lentil Chips)


If you actually try to read the ingredients in the foods you buy at the grocery store, you'll find foods made with ingredients you don't recognize and can't even pronounce. We all seem to examine the nutritional content of foods (calories, fats, vitamins, etc.), but we never seem to scrutinize the ingredient labels on our food. This is how Simply7 was born. Every ingredient in Simply7 products is not only natural but simple. With Simply7 products, you should be able to identify the raw vegetable, fruit, grain, or legume the ingredients in their products come from. The creator of Simply7 products wants to show people that simple ingredients are actually exceptionally delicious and as he doesn't have a place in his pantry for healthy products that taste like cardboard, he doesn't expect you to have to sacrifice taste either. At Simply7, they took these principles and established the 7 core standards that their company stands behind. Hence, the name Simply7.
  1. 0 Grams Trans Fat and No Cholesterol. They believe in eliminating the bad stuff, so there are no trans fats or cholesterol in Simply7 snacks. 
  2. No Artificial Colors or Flavors. Nature is beautiful and it tastes great so why mess with perfection. 
  3. No Additives or Preservatives.  Preservatives add strange things to your food, things you shouldn't have to eat. And if you can't finish the bag before it goes bad, Simply7 must be doing something wrong. 
  4. Gluten Free Ingredients. Simply7 chips are made with gluten free ingredients to help minimize allergy symptoms so you can perform your best. 
  5. All Natural Recipes. The closer it is to its original form, the purer it is an the better it is for you. 
  6. Simple Ingredients.  At Simply7, they believe you shoulder be able to read an ingredient list and actually know what you are eating. They only offer snacks t hat have no unrecognizable or hard to pronounce ingredients. 
  7. Simply Delicious. At Simply7, they believe you can balance healthiness with taste so they made their food taste good and be good for you. All of their snacks are deliciously wholesome. If it doesn't taste good, why eat it?
Simply7 was kind enough to send me a case of their snacks for review, including their Pomegrante, Lentil, and Hummus Chips.

Hummus Chips
All of Simply7's Hummus Chip flavors are designed to give you the most authentic hummus experience possible. They come in Sea Salt, Spicy Chili Pepper, Tomato Basil, and Roasted Red Pepper flavors. The Sea Salt flavor is the most bland of the Hummus Chips but the Spicy Chili Pepper, Tomato Basil, and Roasted Red Pepper flavors are all very flavorful. The Spicy Chili Pepper is my favorite of the Hummus Chips. It has a bold flavor with a nice spiciness that isn't too overwhelming. The hummus complements each of these flavors well. They have a nice crunch to them. They are the perfect size for snacking and perfect shape for dipping. 

Pomegranate Chips
All of Simply7's Pomegranate Chip flavors are designed to complement the sweet and satisfying taste of the pomegranate. They come in Sea Salt, Black Pepper, and White Cheddar flavors. The Pomegranate chips are the perfect size chip for snacking and they have a nice crunch but I didn't much care for the Pomegranate Chips. For a chip, they had too much a fruity taste to my liking and I didn't feel as though the pomegranate complemented the flavors but overpowered them instead.   

Lentil Chips
All of Simply7's Lentil Chip flavors are designed to complement the wonderful natural flavor of the lentil. They come in Sea Salt, Bruschetta, Creamy Dill, and Jalapeno flavors. Of the three types of chips I tried, the Lentil Chips were my favorite. In fact, the Lentil Chips may be my new favorite kind of chip period. I can't choose which flavor I like better, the Creamy Dill or the Jalapeno so I guess it is a tie as each flavor complemented the lentil well. The Creamy Dill chips have a cool, rich flavor with the zesty taste of dill and slight hint of cucumber. The Jalapeno chips have a mouth watering spicy kick but I find them hard to put downThey Lentil Chips have a nice crunch to them and are the perfect size for snacking and perfect shape for dipping. The Sea Salt chips were a little bland, which made them perfect for dipping in salsa. They held the salsa nicely and didn't lose their crunch and they didn't crumble under pressure. 

While the Sea Salt Lentil Chips were the only chips I dipped, all three types of chips are made perfectly for dipping, especially the Hummus and Lentil chips. In fact, on the back of each bag of Simply7 chips, you'll find a recipe for a dip, like Traditional Hummus Dip, Creamy Dill Dip, Roasted Red Pepper Dip, Spicy Black Bean Dip, Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Dip, Jalapeno Cheddar Dip, Pomegranate & Spinach Dip, Roasted Red Pepper & Pomegranate Dip, or Pomegranate & Cheese Dip. You can also find these recipes on the website. 

My favorite part about Simply7 chips is that they contain about 50% less fat than potato chips. My all time favorite snack has always been potato chips but recently I've been trying to eat better and lose weight but I feel that I can splurge on Simply7 chips once in a while and still feel good about myself. I would definitely like to continue to purchase Simply7 chips, especially the Lentil Chips as those were my favorite. Since the closest store to me that sells Simply7 chips is 45 miles away, I'm glad you can purchase them on their website. They are a bit pricey though so I won't be able to purchase them as much as I'd like.  

3 comments:

  1. I've had the pleasure of trying these chips in the past as well and they really are good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried these yet. Need to get on the stick. These would be great to share with the co workers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so surprised at how much I like natural chips like this. I haven't tried this brand yet, but I'm going to look for them in a store near me so I can do that! (Especially the lentil chips since you mentioned those were very good.)

    ReplyDelete